Friday, July 05, 2013

native dessert..yum!

Well here's the latest pic of me. My hair is looking better now than it was a month ago. The recent haircut was botched. The lady just kept cutting my hair I had to tell her to stop..that it's short enough. I guess this is what I get for about $13.95 haircut. I'm never going back there.
TGIF!! I'm off this weekend and MUST do my project...I have no excuse not to do it. I can't take it anymore. You're probably wondering what it is I'm going crazy about. Hint: Cleaning and Organizing a part of my home. Ugh! lot's to do but it must be done if I want to keep my sanity. More on these later.

If you don't know yet I'm originally from the Philippines and came to US when I was 14 years old. So I still missed the native food which I learned how to make when I got married and started having kids. I make Lumpia  (eggrolls) and a few native desserts that are filled with sugar like the one I made pictured here. It is called Banana-que. Plantain Bananas are usually fried whole and it's eaten with a stick like barbeque. But the plantain that are sold in groceries here are longer than what is grown in the Philippines. My family likes it covered in eggroll wrapper but since I didn't have any available I just cut the plantain in pieces and fried it in caramelized brown sugar. So guess who's eating it all? Me. :)
Have a great weekend!
journally yours,
Gem

Philippine Plantain Banana

-Banana Que-Fried whole plantain
smothered with caramelized brown sugar.

Plantain cut in pieces fried in caramelized brown sugar.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH WOW! That looks sooo good!!!

--- Christopher

thethoughtsofchristopherm.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

You can make those for me anytime, Gem. They look so yummy! Thanks for sharing. Oh, and before I forget..I LOVE your haircut. Looking good.

Amanda said...

I think your hair looks nice like that,I love short hair.The food you made looks yummy!!!Have a nice weekend!!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog....visiting you back! My husband would love those plantains! Following you via Bloglovin'!